VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Over 100 people are still out of their homes after a chemical reaction caused by work crews evacuated the Electra building downtown. It’s unclear how long people will be put out.
On Friday night crews were trying to lift concrete slabs when the reaction, which burned off a form of hydrogen cyanide, began spreading toxic fumes.
Gabe Roder with the Vancouver Fire Department says they’ll be at the site throughout the day. “When we got readings of that chemical, that’s when we deemed the building was unsafe. We went a second time and evacuated the building and this time we evacuated for good until we’re told the building is safe.”
He adds the next step is for an independent hygienist to be brought in to check the building out and for a restoration team to ensure it’s safe.