VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Fights broke out across the downtown core after the Vancouver Canucks lost the Stanley Cup Wednesday evening.  There were dozens of fires, overturned cars and there were reports fans burned their jerseys.

People were throwing things at police.  And as a result, Vancouver Police brought in reinforcements from West Vancouver and other jurisdictions.  Officers shot rubber bullets and used tear gas on the crowd.  They gave people numerous 10 minute warning to get out of the downtown core or force would be used.

Dozens of businesses, including The Bay and Coach, were broken into and looted.

“While most people who took part in the festivities tonight were able to enjoy the game in a peaceful manner, I am extremely disappointed to see the situation in downtown Vancouver turn violent after tonight’s Stanley
Cup game,” said Solicitor General Shirley Bond in a statement.

Police will spend the day cleaning up and gathering evidence.

If you saw anything call us on our Driver-to-Driver Line 310-1130.

(read more below)

Mayor Gregor Robertson’s full statement

It is extremely disappointing to see the situation in downtown Vancouver turn violent after tonight’s Stanley Cup game. Vancouver is a world-class city and it is embarrassing and shameful to see the type of violence and disorder we’ve seen tonight.
The vast majority of people who were in the downtown tonight were there to enjoy the game in a peaceful and respectful manner.  It is unfortunate that a small number of people intent on criminal activity have turned pockets of the downtown into areas involving destruction of property and confrontations with police.
The Vancouver Police and Vancouver Fire Department are doing an exceptional job under challenging circumstances to maintain control of the situation and keep people safe, and emergency crews are working tirelessly to assist those who were injured.
The priority is public safety and ensuring that people can leave the downtown area to make their way home without further incident.  Transit is operating at full capacity.
I urge the public to remain calm and to stay away from central downtown in order to assist police in restoring safety to our streets.