WILLIAMS LAKE (NEWS1130) – A scary incident for people in Williams Lake Sunday morning.

A chlorine incident at 8:20 a.m. saw 70 people at the Cariboo Memorial Recreation Complex taken to hospital.

The City’s Ken MacInnis confirms to News1130 that the complex was evacuated.

“The rec centre has a pool and two rinks. At the rinks were some minor hockey events and at the pool was a youth swim meet,” he said.

Police, ambulance and fire crews were called to the scene. Investigators are now looking into what happened.

Staff at Cariboo Memorial Hospital in Williams Lake say the majority of the people affected by the leak have been treated and released.

The pool remains closed but the rest of the building has been re-opened.