Loading articles...

Surrey man pleads guilty in Mission 2008 double murder

NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS1130) – One of three men charged with first-degree murder in connection with a 2008 double murder in Mission has pleaded guilty.

Jack Douglas Woodruff, 52, has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years for shooting Lisa Dudley and Guthrie McKay.

The case gained prominence after a Mission RCMP officer responded to the area but didn’t get out of his car.

The couple was eventually found by a neighbour days later inside their home on Greenwood Drive. Guthrie was found dead, while Lisa was found stuck to a chair by her own blood and still alive. She died later in hospital.

The families of the two victims spoke to the media following Woodruff’s guilty plea.

“Today, the first of the killers has been sent to jail” said Guthrie McKay’s father, Pat, with his wife Dorothy at his side. “My wife and I, we’ve attended many meetings and groups, trying to heal from this.”

“And I can tell you, there are hundreds, of not thousands of people out there in the same situation as we are.”

McKay’s voice trailed off as he was overcome with grief.

“It’s a relief to everyone (the guilty plea), but it’s only a partial solution,” says Mark Surrakka, Lisa Dudley’s father.

His wife, Rosemarie, says she has forgiven the man who killed her daughter.

“He’s taken responsibility for what he has done” she said. “I have spoken to him in the past and I know that he is remorseful, and when he asked for my forgiveness after we had spent quite a bit of time together I did forgive him.”

“It’s in the past now.”

She says the officer who responded to the 9-1-1 call the day of the shooting, but never got out of his police cruiser, has not apologized.

Justin MacKinnon, 25, and Bruce Main, 64, were also arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree murder. It’s not clear if Woodruff will testify against them.

Police still haven’t said why the pair was killed.

The Mountie who stayed in his car was disciplined and docked a day’s pay. The RCMP later made it a rule for officers to talk to whomever calls 911 when it’s believed shots have been fired.