Police say a man taken into custody after a brazen drive-by shooting in Dartmouth has been released without charges.

The shooting happened on Symonds Street just after 12:30 p.m. Monday.

Halifax Regional Police Cst. Brian Palmeter tells News 95.7 a dark Nissan Maxima was targeted by someone in another car driving up the street.

“Two people were in the vehicle when it was shot at, however, they were not injured,” he said. “It’s believed the shots came from a second vehicle that had fled the area by the time we arrived.”

The Maxima had its back windshield completely smashed out. A house was also hit by at least one bullet, but so far, there are no reports of people being injured in the attack.

Palmeter says investigators are alarmed that the shooting happened in broad daylight in a residential area, and they’re confident it was not a random incident.

“We believe that this was a targeted attack,” said Palmeter. “We’re not exactly sure of the motive, but we’re comfortable saying it was not random.”

Police resources including the K-9 unit were on scene throughout the afternoon, but were unable to find the passing vehicle where the gunfire originated.

At 4:30 p.m., police said they’d taken a 22-year-old man into custody for questioning, but he was released overnight.

Investigators are already appealing for tips from the public.