Loading articles...

Fire destroys family's historic home in Abbotsford

ABBOTSFORD (NEWS1130) – Tragedy has hit a family in Abbotsford after a late morning fire has destroyed their home and left them homeless.  When crews got there they were met with heavy smoke and luckily nobody was inside at the time.

Assistant Fire Chief Geoff Adams says much of the home on Downes Road near Ross Road has been destroyed.

“The home is heavily damaged and [we’re] not sure if it’s repairable or not.  Unfortunately the homeowners did not have insurance.  They’ve actually lived in this house for 86 years.”

Adams explains how far back the history goes.  “The husband actually moved in here when he was 2-years-old, so he’s 88-years-old now.  So, 86 years and that’s really unfortunate.”

He says the tragic fire started in the chimney.