ABBOTSFORD (NEWS1130) – They’ve been out of their home for over a month, but an elderly Abbotsford couple can now return after local crews rebuilt it following a massive fire last month.

When the blaze happened at the place on Downes Road, firefighters and officers promised the two, who didn’t have insurance, that they would get to spend Christmas at home.

The house has been in the family for 86 years.

It took crews, along with the help of about 200 volunteers and lots of donated building supplies, roughly four weeks to rebuild the home.

“It’s been really humbling, especially the community support… from people delivering coffee every morning to people donating tens of thousands of dollars worth of products,” says firefighter Craig Bird.

He notes that luckily, there wan’t too much structural damage to the home, “but the smoke damage and water damage was significant.”

“So, we had to strip the whole house right back to studs and it’s rebuilt up to code and with some new, modern conveniences,” he adds.

The fire had started in the chimney. The Connors will get to move back in tomorrow.