Loading articles...

More charges recommended in Stanley Cup Riot

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Charges have been recommended against 40 more suspected Stanley Cup rioters, but are people still outraged a year and a half later? News1130 took that question to VPD headquarters this morning.

“For some people it is possible that time has healed some wounds,” says Inspector Laurence Rankin.

But he quickly adds he continues to interview people remembering the fires, the broken glass, and the violence that broke out. “There are some people, many people who are still very upset and traumatized.

He says tips continue to trickle in and they will continue to hold people accountable.

“I hope that news of more rioters facing charges brings a small measure of comfort to victims of the riot,” he tells us.

There have now been 1,040 charges recommended against 315 suspected rioters.

VPD’s statistical profile of suspected rioters

Of the 315 people police have recommended charges against, 278 are men and 37 are women.

The average age at the time of the riot is 21 years. The youngest was a 14 years old; the oldest was 52.

The VPD recommends a charge of participating in a riot for each person; a total of 303 charges of mischief are recommended. The next-most common charge so far is break and enter.

Vancouver and Surrey are home to 58 suspected rioters each. Overall, 82 per cent of them are from outside of Vancouver proper.

Click here to find more information from the VPD.

 

Join the conversation

Please read our commenting policies

J

too much time has passed, let it go, the justice system here is pathetic, slow and should have been all dealt with within 60 days max, as personally those who were posted all over the media was not necessary as you never do that for murderers or anyone under 18 which is where it needs to hit the media. You had all the names, you had all the info and you chose to wait this long? no way too long too late

December 22, 2012 at 10:54 am