Loading articles...

ICBC going through ice-bomb claims

SURREY (NEWS1130) – Hundreds of people say their vehicles were damaged when ice-bombs started falling from the Port Mann Bridge earlier this month

So how many cars and trucks were damaged?

Adam Grossman with ICBC says the number stands at around 250, for now. “We still have to work through those individually and check that there aren’t any duplicate claims. At the same time, we may still see that number increase slightly, hopefully we’ll see it come down once we’ve reviewed all the claims.”

“We’ve seen a substantial amount of windshield damage, dents to the roofs and hoods of various vehicles,” he adds.

He says ICBC is trying to process the files as quickly as possible so people who had their vehicles “ice-bombed” can get them fixed.

Join the conversation

Please read our commenting policies

PE

Now all car insurance rates in all of BC will rise, thanx to you careless drivers.

December 28, 2012 at 3:18 pm
    Albert Lam

    Hopefully not. If the fault is due to negligence on the maintenance of the bridge or the design of the bridge then I would hope that ICBC chases after them for the payout. However if its due to careless drivers then I wonder why the Port Mann would have over 250 incidents while the other bridges in the lower mainland do not.

    I drove over the bridge minutes before they closed off the bridge and I can definitely tell you that I was not speeding and it was like playing frogger on the bridge. Ice dropping like bombs and it sounded like an intense thunderstorm. Furthermore, out of the 4 lanes, only 2 lanes were driveable as the ice sticking on the bridge deck made it difficult to drive on (Im driving a 1/4 tonne truck and it felt like I was driving off on a bumpy dirt road).

    January 03, 2013 at 2:31 pm