Loading articles...

Three alarm fire rips through Burnaby apartment building

BURNABY (NEWS1130) – People were hanging out the windows — screaming to be saved.

Crews had a tough time fighting a three-alarm fire at a Burnaby apartment building this morning because so many people needed to be rescued.

The building is a complete write-off.

Several people and pets suffered smoke inhalation.

It looks like the fire started in the basement of the building on Smith Avenue near Canada Way.

Assistant Fire Chief Ken Moore says flames were shooting out all sides by the time crews got there.

“We did a rescue on all the floors, tried to get in as many suites as possible. At this point there were some people who were brought down ladders and some animals.”

There were 35 units in the complex.

People have lost everything and will also need to look for a new home.

One person died in a fire four years ago in the same building.

Join the conversation

Please read our commenting policies

pita24

The police and fire department did a great job. The fire started at midnight. I live across the street from this building. Its sad that so many people lost their homes and pets. But on the other hand, there were to many pets in the building. Not only that the owners of the building left the scene and left their truck right where the firemen needed to get to to kill the fire. The building wasn’t up to code due to the fact of the age of the building. When the building was built 50 years ago they didn’t need fire sprinklers. As of today, at 7:45 am the rest of the building started smoking because of the hot spots. So the fire department showed up again to put the rest of the fires out. So many people that I spoke with didn’t have insurance. For $20 a month you could have insurance and you would have your stuff back.

February 18, 2013 at 9:13 am

    Dear pita24, you say there are “too many pets” in the building but that is just your opinion. The reason why you might think there were “too many pets” is due to the fact that many buildings don’t allow pets and so people who love animals all end up in the same building. Those of us that lived in the building actually loved animals and there were definately NOT too many pets. You then mention “the owners of the building left the scene and left their truck right where the firemen needed to get“ and I think you are specifically talking about me since my truck was the only one there and we did eventually leave the scene. I can`t believe you would make such a stupid and rude comment when obviously my keys were in the fire and our apartment was in the midst of burning to the ground, we had just escaped with our lives and were in total shock. It makes me realize that you just watched us and did nothing to help, believe me, we would have LOVED it if a neighbour welcomed us into their nearby apartment since we were shivering cold. You then go on to comment on how people should have insurance. You are one cold person and I am schoked you took the time to patronize the victims of this terrible accident. I hope you enjoyed the show from your warm apartment.

    February 19, 2013 at 7:47 pm
Brenda

The building had 34 suites and the fire fighters did a wonderful job saving the peoples lives and their pets. They worked from 12pm and are still working and its 5pm Sunday. Besides the fire department I’d like to thank B.C. Hdyro and R.C.M.P

February 17, 2013 at 6:28 pm