Loading articles...

Crown to appeal stay of proceedings in Jamie Bacon case

Last Updated Dec 11, 2017 at 3:55 pm PDT

(iStock image)
Summary

Mother of a "Surrey Six" victim hopeful Jamie Bacon will still be punished

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – The BC Prosecution Service has filed an appeal of the stay of proceedings against Jamie Bacon, which was ordered by the BC Supreme Court on Dec. 1.

Bacon had been charged with first degree murder and conspiracy to commit the murder of Corey Lal, one of six people who died on Oct. 19, 2007 at the Balmoral Tower building in Surrey — a case which became known as the Surrey Six killings.

The Prosecution Service says it has reviewed the decision of the court to stay the charges and feels an appeal is warranted. In a statement, it says the ruling reveals errors of law, and the public interest requires an appeal.

Bacon remains in prison on other charges.

Eileen Mohan’s 22-year-old son was one of two innocent bystanders gunned down at Balmoral Tower. She says she’s pleased by the Crown’s decision, and hopes the man she believes is responsible for her son’s death will still be punished.

“I want to touch everybody’s life legally who has touched Christopher’s life so illegally,” she says.

“This is the last thing I’m going to do for Christopher, so I want to see ultimate justice for him… to have the appeal go through is almost a statement saying Christopher’s rights are being exercised too.”

The Supreme Court’s decision was largely met with confusion and outrage by the public, as well as many prominent BC politicians. Premier John Horgan called it “a setback for all of us” while BC Attorney General David Eby expressed “tremendous disappointment.”

The Crown will be asking that the stay of proceedings be set aside and that a new trial be ordered.

Further filings with the court are expected to be sealed or otherwise closed to the public.