Loading articles...

Surrey drive-by shooting renews anger of neighbours who demand action

Last Updated Mar 12, 2018 at 6:08 am PDT

(NEWS 1130 File Photo)
Summary

Surrey RCMP responded to reports of several shots fired in a Newton neighbourhood Sunday just before 11 a.m.

It doesn't appear anyone was hurt

SURREY (NEWS 1130) – Investigators have been called to a residential area in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood after reports of shots fired Sunday morning.

Sgt. David MacDonald says the RCMP was called to the area of 121 Street and 68 Avenue around 10:50 a.m. “Upon police arrival it was determined that several shots had been fired from a moving vehicle.”

The vehicle left the area but no one appears to have been hurt. There’s still no word on a description of the vehicle. “Officers are presently conducting neighbourhood canvassing, and have spoken with several witnesses to obtain further information.”

A 23-year-old Delta man died on Friday after being found suffering from gunshot wounds in the area of 137A Street and 67 Avenue in Surrey. Officers say it’s still very early in the investigation, and so far there’s no word on whether these two incidents are connected.

Calls for province to take action

Karen Reid Sidhu, executive director of the Surrey Crime Prevention Society, lives in the area of Sunday’s shooting and says it’s not the first time shots have been heard in the neighborhood.

“Apparently one of the units in the family housing complex was hit three times. There’s little kids in that house,” she says. “There’s always kids playing out there. I’m shocked that no child or somebody innocent was shot.”

Calling it brazen and frightening for the people living in the area, she says it’s not a Surrey problem but a problem that’s festering through the whole Lower Mainland.

“I am pleading to the new government, the NDP, to put resources towards policing to get these people. We need to step it up,” she says “It’s not the police fault at all and nor is it any of the municipalities. This is a provincial issue and we need to put more money towards this attack.”

With it being the second shooting in the city over the weekend, Reid Sidhu says action needs to be taken before more innocent people die.