Loading articles...

Former Vancouver Canuck charged with sexual assault

Last Updated Feb 9, 2018 at 4:27 pm PDT

Former NHL enforcer Dave (Tiger) Williams arrives with other ex-NHLers to visit the troops at the base in Kandahar, Afghanistan Wednesday, May 2, 2007.(CP PHOTO/Ryan Remiorz)

Dave "Tiger" Williams charged with sexual assault in connection with incidents of a Canadian Armed Forces flight

Charges approved against a former Canuck following alleged assault during a visit to service members

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A former Vancouver Canuck is accused of sexual assault.

Dave “Tiger” Williams has been charged in connection with incidents that happened during a Canadian Armed Forces flight to Latvia in December.

The 64-year-old was a passenger on the flight as part of a sanctioned morale visit to our service members.

Canadian Forces Maj.-Gen. Andrew Leslie, left, points to a map of Afghanistan at ISAF headquarters Sunday, Dec.21, 2003 as former NHL stars Kirk McLean and Dave (Tiger) Williams, right, look on. McLean and Williams were in Kabul on a pre-Christmas visit with Canadian soldiers. (CP PHOTO/terry Pedwell)


The Canadian Forces Provost Marshal’s office says the alleged victim reported the incidents in December while Williams was taking part in a morale trip to Latvia.

A spokesman for the office, Lieutenant (Navy) Blake Patterson, says Williams was charged on Wednesday with two counts of sexual assault and assault under the Criminal Code and was arrested by military police on Friday.

“It’s important to remember that subjects of charges are presumed innocent until proven guilty. The matter is now proceeding in accordance with the civilian justice system and it will be brought forward by the Crown attorney in Ottawa.”

He adds Williams was released from custody on a promise to appear in court, however, a hearing date has not yet been set.

Former NHLer and Toronto Maple Leafs President & Alternate Governor Brendan Shanahan issued the following statement.

“We were just made aware of the charges against Mr. Williams, a member of our alumni association. First and foremost, we want to acknowledge the incredible courage of this woman for coming forward. As an organization, we stand firmly against all or any forms of physical and emotional assault. With so little information available to us at this moment, and out of respect for the necessary legal process, we will refrain from commenting any further at this time.”

The 64-year-old played in Vancouver between 1979 and ’84, and was a member of the Canucks squad that went to the Stanley Cup Final in 1982.