Loading articles...

Roof of Chilliwack restaurant collapses in fire

Summary

No injuries after Sunday morning fire leaves Chilliwack restaurant badly damaged

Large response after flames break out at Chilliwack restaurant

CHILLIWACK (NEWS 1130) – A well-known restaurant in the Fraser Valley has been badly damaged as crews try to figure out what sparked a big fire this morning.

Chilliwack Mayor Sharon Gaetz says she was briefed by the fire chief who confirms they were called out at about 8:30 a.m. to the area right off of Yale Road near Main Street to the Friendly Banners Kitchen. When crews got there the building was engulfed with large flames shooting out of the roof.

“The building itself, it looks like it’s a bit of a write-off. The roof has collapsed.”

Crews quickly got things under control and the neighbouring businesses have been saved although they may have suffered some smoke and water damage.

“Apparently all of the employees got out. There are no civilian or firefighter injuries,” adds Gaetz.

The fire has struck what, Gaetz acknowledges, is an iconic spot in town. “It’s a place that people gather, especially for early morning breakfast. But you know, there are some new businesses next door that will be affected by this and whenever businesses are affected in our community, it’s a sad day. But the good news is there were no injuries. It’s always so frightening when we have a fire.”

She says a building can be rebuilt and it’s a relief no one was hurt.