BURNABY (NEWS1130) – Angus David Mitchell died in hospital after exchanging shots with police in Maple Ridge near 132 Street. He was wanted for attempted murder and was believed to be carrying a high-powered rifle with a scope.

Burnaby RCMP were searching for Mitchell after his former landlord was shot in front of his home in Burnaby last night.

Superintendent Dave Walsh says Mitchell was alive when they left the scene but the 26-year-old died in hospital.

“Shots were fired between the suspect and Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team members. We are certainly pleased none of our officers are injured at this point in time.”

A tip came in an hour after Burnaby RCMP made a public warning. Mitchell was discovered in his green van in a rural area near 224 and 132 Streets.

Craig Marquis, who owns a feed shop nearby, heard the shoot-out with RCMP. He says he came out of his shop a spoke with an officer who had the road blocked off.

“The officer said there was a bad guy around and wouldn’t give us much more info,” explains Marquis. “As time went by, we heard gun shots and immediately following the gun shots we could hear on his radio ‘suspect down.’”

Mitchell was believed to have been armed with a high-powered Mossberg Maverick rifle with a scope. Mounties don’t believe he had the gun illegally; they believe he bought it.

Police think Mitchell had been living out of his 1994 green Ford Aerostar van. They say he was evicted from a few places in the past and was fired from another job.

Mitchell recently posted an angry rant on his Facebook page that seemed to be aimed at his former employer.

Victoria Police met with the man who recently fired Mitchell from his job at Themis Security Inc. His parting with the company was reportedly bitter and the owner was worried for the safety of the employees.

Mitchell was a former security guard and was not known to police.

Neighbour describes last night’s shooting

There’s still police tape around a two-storey home on Gilpin Crescent just off Willingdon near Metrotown. The victim of last night’s shooting in hospital with serious injuries.

News1130 spoke with one neighbour who ran to help a man who’d appeared to have been shot in the shoulder last night. He says the victim was conscious, but bleeding profusely.

“I thought he had an accident… He said ‘I got shot,’” he explains. “I called the RCMP. I called 911, my wife called 911. I told them someone was shot.”

He believes a Mandarin-speaking family lives at the home, including two teenaged daughters.

Mitchell is also believed to be involved in a double homicide at a Burnaby sushi restaurant on Sunday.